Moving across state lines can be a great adventure. However, it can also be a lot of work. The more organized you are, the better your trip will go. Here are some helpful tips for relocating to Delaware from out-of-state:
1. Decide what you are taking with you and get rid of anything that you don’t need. Take an honest look at all of your belongings. If you aren’t too attached to certain pieces of furniture, decorative accessories or clothing, consider leaving them behind and buying new at your new location. This can free up a lot of space in the moving truck and can help keep the cost of your move as low as possible.
2. Decide how you want to move. There are several different options available. You could hire a traditional moving company to transport all of your belongings. Alternatively, you could also look into renting a storage container that can then be moved to your new location. You may even want to consider handling the move yourself if you are comfortable driving a rented moving truck.
3. Label your belongings as you pack them so that they are easy to unpack at your new home. Consider numbering the boxes and keeping a notebook that lists everything that is inside each box based on these numbers. This makes it far easier to find what you need at your new location.
4. Submit a change of address with the post office so that you can continue getting your mail at your new address.
5. Get a new driver’s license as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you may have to retake your driving test. Also, make sure that your insurance company has your new address so that they can make any necessary changes to your policy.
6. Set up a bank account in your new location. Additionally, update your credit cards and any other financial services with your new address.
7. Register to vote in Delaware so that you can participate in upcoming elections.
8. If necessary, get your children checked in at their new schools. Try to arrange a tour before they start so that they are more familiar with their surroundings.
Once all of these steps are out of the way, you can start to get settled into your new home. Moving to Delaware from another state can be challenging. However, as long as you stay organized, the chances of your move going smoothly are extremely high.